I love making this as it is so simple and easy and I can let the tofu cook first while cutting up the rest of the vegetables.
Before starting, get your rice started cooking, either in a rice cooker or on the stove top. Rice can always stay warm if it is ready before the stir-fry.
- Cube very dense tofu and place in a hot wok with oil. Sprinkle some sugar and salt over the top. Cover and let brown.
- Minced several cloves of garlic to place with the tofu after the first side is browned.
- Slice 1/2 of a yellow onion. Cut the stems out of the collard greens, then thinly slice the leaves. Select another vegetable of your choice. I like broccoli, cauliflower or carrots, but any will do.
- When the tofu is brown on one side, turn all the cubes over. Add the minced garlic. Continue cooking until the second side is brown.
- Add the most dense vegetable first (i.e. cauliflower). Add a 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover to let cook. After about 1 minute, stir in onions leaving the collard green leaves for the last item to be added.
- If necessary, add more salt and/or sugar.
- Add the vegetable mix to a plate or bowl of steamed Jasmine rice.
Enjoy! It should take less than 30 minutes.