Friday, October 31, 2008

Cakes for the Fall Festival

I chose to bake cakes for the church's Fall Festival (aka the big event to replace Halloween) instead of volunteering to corral children. I made one last year, too.

Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake

Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake

1 pkg. yellow cake mix (I used white)

1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding

3/4 c. canola oil

3/4 c. water

4 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or any other baking nut)

1 cup cinnamon and sugar mixture

Mix together all ingredients at high speed for 8 minutes (this just seemed too long, so I only mixed for about 4 minutes). Grease bundt pan well with a pastry brush (or a good 'ol paper towel with butter smeared on it). Sprinkle 1 cup chopped nuts into pan; spread around. Nuts will cling to grease! Place 1/3 batter in pan; sprinkle with connamon and sugar mixture (and I added some of the nuts). Place another 1/3 of mixture in pan; sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (more nuts). Place remaining 1/3 of batter in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or more, until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and turn over onto cake plate.

Fudgy Chocolate Bundt Cake
Fudgy Chocolate Bundt Cake
1 pkg. fudge cake mix (I used German chocolate cause that's all I had)
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold coffee
1 (12 oz.) pkg fudge chocolate chips (or any will do)
Mix everything together EXCEPT the chocolate chips. Then add chips and mix some more. Pour into well greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Cool and turn over onto cake plate. Top with Glaze Frosting.
Glaze Frosting
2 Tbsp. soft or melted butter
1/4 cup cocoa (the good kind for baking)
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring (or any flavor you like)
Powdered sugar (add a little at a time)
Milk (add a little at a time)
Mix all the ingredients together to desired consistency. Pour over cooled cake and top with chopped nuts.

I really wanted to keep the chocolate cake to eat myself, but knew that I would eat the whole thing. I'll just have to make another one.

They were both easy to make, though slightly modified from their internet recipes, as usual.

3 comments:

Carmen said...

yummmm

Le Butterfly said...

That looks great.

Mama from Sirpriz.com said...

Oh your cake is very beautiful!
I send you a kiss from France :o)
If you want to swap with me you can see my profil and pictures on http://www.sirpriz.com/mama
Have a nice day!!
Mama From Sirpriz