Friday, January 11, 2008

Baba Ghanoush

With an extra eggplant lying around I thought I would give a go at making baba ghanoush as a former roomie, the H-ster, had so inspiringly made on many occasions in our old abode.

I used a recipe from cooks.com, but modified it slightly as I usually do when I don't have the exact ingredients. Here's the recipe:

1 eggplant
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
8 oz. plain yogurt (I used a soy yogurt from Wild Woods)
1 clove garlic (I used 3 cause I love the stuff)

Bake eggplant at 350 degrees until soft, about 1/2 hour. Test with a toothpick. Cool, peel, and remove head. Chop or put in food processor, whichever texture is preferred (I blended it.) Add garlic and continue to process. Add lemon juice, yogurt, salt and pepper.

Tahini Sauce
1/2 cup tahini sauce
salt & pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
water
(I skipped the water and salt & pepper as I felt it was thin enough already)

Mix tahini sauce, salt, pepper and lemon juice separately in a mixer. Add a little water to thin. Mix with eggplant mixture.

Eat with pita bread and salad. Garnish with parsely.

Yummy, yummy! I love eating this with the baked pita chips from Trader Joe's. But it would also be nice over a cucumber, onion and tomato salad, too.

No comments: