Saturday, January 12, 2008

Papusas - Guatemala City, Guatemala

With the assistance of my roommate, I discovered these wonderfully delicious treats when in Guatemala from the 3rd - 8th of December, 2007.



According to my roomie, she had papusas in Ecuador. I just had to try them, not only cause they were homemade compared to the Subway, Taco Bell, Quiznos, Dominoes and so on, available to us in the food court, but they were also inexpensive!



The woman was so delightful and patient, always making sure she had the order correct, since I was speaking in a second language.


They are more or less pancake-like. She started with a ball of dough, then pushed a hole into it in which the fillings were added. With only 3 choices of cheese (the fresh kind: think queso fresca), frijol (bean) and chicherrito (meat) filling. I opted for the beans and meat fillings either separately or combined (mixta).



They are then flattened and placed on the griddle to cook for 5-10 minutes. It's worth the wait. Believe me! These suckers filled me all day.




After served, you had your choice of toppings: a cabbage mixture, various spicy levels of salsa, guacamole and onions.



I ate these 3 days in a row. I loved coming here. I still crave these things to this day. I need this recipe for myself.

No comments: