Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Garden Delights

My vegetable garden July 08
My vegetable garden Squash uploaded by Nikkster

I am beginning to enjoy the fruits of my labor of a small home garden that I put together in my backyard using half wine barrels and other large terra cotta pots that were free.

My vegetable garden July 08
My vegetable garden Collard Greens uploaded by Nikkster

I have enjoyed two yellow zuchhini squash so far, by steaming them and serving with steamed rice. Also enjoyed were several tender leaves of collard greens stir-fried with tofu and onions. In addition, my Bibb lettuce leaves have been a tender addition to my daily salads I take to work.

My vegetable garden July 08
My vegetable garden Squash & Beans barrel uploaded by Nikkster

Soon the tomatoes will be producing as the first flower buds have appeared. There are also some beans just now growing. I don't think they get enough sun because the squash leaves have taken over. My peppers are slow but steady. I think they'll be late bloomers.

I can hardly wait for the tomatoes to start producing as I have high hopes for doing some canning of homemade spaghetti sauce.

No comments: