Thursday, September 20, 2007

Homemade Applesauce



Mmmm. The yummiest thing about apple season besides eating the fresh apples themselves is turning the leftowvers into applesauce. I did just that tonight.

First I cut Gala apples (about 15 small ones) from Gopher Glen Apple Farm in See Canyon, San Luis Obispo, California into quarters and cut out the seeds. Then I peeled them. I did this against the overseeing eye of my mother who wondered why I didn't peel them first. I just thought I'd try a different way. Besides I had just seen Martha peel the apples after they were cut.

After the peeled apples, I cut them into small inch-size chunks. Water was added up to an inch and then the apple cubes were boiled til nice and soft. I chose to add about a cup of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. This was mashed until applesauce consistency.

Let cool and enjoy a bowful!

No comments: