Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Vegetable Soup and Cornbread

Today I was wondering what to make for dinner and wanted something easy and healthy. When I was searching through the fridge for something I realized I had a lot of miscellaneous vegies so I decided on a pot of soup.

It starts with roughly chopped onions cooked til translucent in olive oil. I used a mixture of yellow and red since I only had a small piece of yellow. Then I tossed in some minced garlic (approx 4-5 tablespoons/cloves)

Then I diced up 5 small red potatoes, cut up bite-sized pieces of cauliflower (approx 1-2 cups) and grabbed 3 individual bags of baby carrots. I also grabbed a can of green beans and diced tomatoes plus a quart box of vegetable soup stock/broth.

In addition I found some old BBQ chicken and tri-tip steak that I cut up into bite-sized pieces.

After the onions are ready, I added the potatoes, cauliflower and carrots which I covered with the broth and some additional water to boil. I saved the other ingredients for later since they're less dense and already cooked.

Once all the ingredients are simmering in the pot I tossed in some garlic salt and pepper and some regular salt to taste.

After 30 minutes I had a huge pot of yummy soup. I baked some cornbread to go along with it.

This soup is great to eat as leftovers as it keeps getting better day by day. Perfect for family gatherings or visiting friends!

1 comment:

H said...

My stepmother makes something called "leftover soup". On my last visit she put everything in a pot with chicken broth-- spaghetti, leftover chicken and pizza. I think your version sounds better.